A set of resources to aid the beginner and expert alike in understanding photoplethysmography.
An introduction to photoplethysmography
A comprehensive overview: This review paper summarises the fundamentals of photoplethysmography, its use in wearables, signal processing, and its potential clinical applications.
A very quick overview: This short video provides an introduction to photoplethysmography in a minute (and a bit).
Wearable photoplethysmography devices
- The state-of-the-art in wearable photoplethysmography: Our book chapter on wearable photoplethysmography devices provides an overview of the state-of-the-art.
- A comprehensive overview of PPG signal processing: Our book chapter on photoplethysmography signal processing provides an overview of a wide range of techniques for processing the photoplethysmogram (PPG) signal.
- Respiratory rate estimation: If you’re interested in estimating respiratory rate from the PPG, then see our review paper on the topic.
- Vascular age: If you’re interested in assessing vascular age from the PPG, then see our review paper on the topic. Includes: blood pressure estimation, assessing arterial stiffness, and identifying peripheral arterial disease. If you’re interested in this topic, then you might consider joining this working group, part of VascAgeNet, a network for research into vascular ageing.
- Opportunities for photoplethysmography in public health: This presentation provides an overview of some potential applications of photoplethysmography in Public Health.
The latest developments in photoplethysmography
- Webinars: To stay up to date with the latest developments in photoplethysmography by attending this free webinar series.